Monday, June 21, 2010

Will Work For Cardboard Box

I am so sick of jobhunting. Or moreso, I'm so sick of not getting responses. If I were at least getting to the interview stage, or even just a response, I'd be so much more positive about this. But no replies whatsoever? Absolutely frustrating.

I'm probably also a little jaded, because when I was at Resilience, Ella and I replied to everyone. It takes 30 seconds to fire off a canned "sorry, you haven't made it to our interview round" email, and then the people that took the time to apply for our jobs at least knew that their email was received and reviewed. Then, for those that replied and asked why we didn't want to meet with them, we gladly took the time to let them know what it was about their application that prevented them from being interview-worthy.

On Monday of last week something right up my alley showed up in the Writers/Editors section of Craigslist:

Editor/Office Asst (Burnaby)
Health care company looking for a full time Editor/Office Assistant. Mon-Fri, 8am- 4pm. Primary responsibity is to edit therapists' assessment reports . In addition there may be some opportunities for writing health related articles. Helping with phone, scheduling and misc tasks will also be required. The ideal candidate must have an excellent command of the English language both verbal and written, be very focused, detail oriented, efficient, have initiative, and a team player. English degree an asset. Understanding of medical terminology helpful. Please include hourly wage expectation in your cover letter.

    * Location: Burnaby
    * Compensation: depending on experience
    * Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    * Please, no phone calls about this job!
    * Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.


So between my penchant for editing, my Certificate of Technical Writing (not an English degree but a worthy substitute given the position), and my job history working at a company that makes software for doctors and residents, I think I should have been a shoo-in for an interview.

But that dreaded last line: Please include hourly wage expectation in your cover letter.

I hate that. I absolutely completely hate when employers don't post what they're offering for the job, and moreso when they want you to tell them what you think it's worth. It's rude and a waste of people's time to not say what you want to pay. If it's $12 an hour, I wouldn't have bothered applying. If it's $40 an hour, I'm severely under-qualified and I'll let someone with ten years of experience step up as clearly that's what you're asking for. At least post a freaking wage range.

Come Friday I haven't heard anything, so I sent an inquiry email. I got a reply this morning:

interviewing this week. Your salary expectation is hire than what we are offering

I'm going to ignore that she misspelled "higher" as "hire."

ARGH. I'd hope that if what I put for an hourly wage ($20/hour, which isn't unreasonable) was only one or two dollars an hour higher than what they wanted to pay, they'd at least have the decency to reply with an option to negotiate. But because her response seemed to imply that I'd been written off entirely due to my astronomical asking price, I'd guess that they're hoping to find someone to do this for $14/hour or less.

I'm nearly 25, with an education from BCIT and over five years of relevant experience, half of which was working with medical terminology and coding systems, and you're telling me that $20/hour is too much? That'd all be fine and dandy, except that they want someone with a university education too. If four+ years of full-time school doesn't net you at least $20/hour, I'm sure glad I didn't bother with uni.

"Therapist" is vague, but I doubt there's a therapist on the planet that charges less than $60/hour. Speech therapists, physiotherapists, family therapists are all going to charge at least that for their services. And since it's "therapists' reports," there's more than one to cover the cost of having someone edit their reports.

You get what you pay for.

Update: She replied. They're offering $16. Why not just say that from the beginning? I don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. It's not cool they couldn't take the time to reply to you, and also that they did hire a moron who can't spell.

    Also, they are being cheap: it sounds similar to a "Nursing Unit Clerk" position to me. If this were a union position as in the hospital, starting wage is about $20/hr plus benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having often been on the hiring side, I've had a lot of applicants put 'negotiable' as their salary expectations. I've never discounted someone based on that response (but then again I agree with you that it is a stupid thing to ask).

    Lorne

    ReplyDelete