Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 2.5? - Jet lagggged

It's 6am and I'm wide awake after about three hours of sleep.

KLM were AWESOME! I definitely recommend flying with them. I've got three more KLM flights this trip, and hopefully they're all as great as yesterday's was. Sitting in a cramped metal tube breathing in recycled air for nine hours sucks no matter how you look at it, but between the pretty decent food, super nice attendants, constant flow of drinks (they have free booze but I just made friends with endless orange juice) and a bevy of movie and TV choices on the individual screens, it wasn't half bad at all.

I watched the Ugly Truth. Verdict: Katherine Heigl has a perfect body, weird head, and zero acting skills. Gerard Butler is a beautiful man.

I'm staying at the Flying Pig Downtown hostel in Amsterdam. My roomies are Tamera and Dave from San Fransisco, and Mika/Miki/something like that from Japan.

After settling in, sleeping for a few hours and then getting ready, I headed down to the bar / smoking room. Beer for... k, so the Euro symbol is on my keyboard, but no matter what I press it won't work. Humph. Anyway, huge glasses of beer for 2 Euros and 90 cents. Hung out with Tamera and Dave for a while, got awkwardly hit on by some dudes from Barcelona, and then ventured out into the street with Jeanie from Connecticut to find food.

It's FREEZING cold here! Literally. There's snow on the ground and the walkways are icy. I was wearing flipflops last night, which may not have been the best choice, but thankfully we're right in the middle of everything, so we didn't have to venture far to find burgers.

When I checked in, I grabbed a brochure for free walking tours. Opened it up only to find Donald's picture in it! (Went to high school with him in Mission, he dated a friend of mine, and he's responsible for all my piercings.) He lived here for a while, but I think he's in Berlin now, working as a tour guide. So crazy to see a familiar face in print on the other side of the globe!

I think later this morning I'll take advantage of said free tours. Three hours around Amsterdam, including the Red Light District and Anne Frank's house. Today's my last day here before I jet off to India, but I'll be back in a couple of weeks and then again at the end of my trip. Save for the smokiness, I like Amsterdam so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment