Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 1 of Sam's Epic Adventure - Departure!

Is it too bold to dub my adventure epic when it hasn't happened yet?

I'm at YVR (thanks for the free wifi!) killing time before boarding. Security was a breeze; no questions, no restrictions, and I didn't even have to take off my shoes!

Will and Dustin accompanied me to the airport via the Canada Line. It was nice to have some company to distract me, and I never get enough time with my brother anyway. Now that I'm here I'm actually calm. I've been freaking out every time I actually thought about what I'm about to undertake, but now that my bags are checked and I'm actually here I'm way more chill. It's missing flights or not having accommodations that has me periodically panicking, but I seem to be ok now.

Or it's the apple martini calming my nerves.

I'm loaded down with American dollars, Euros and Rupees, and with about thirty pounds more luggage than I should have. There's a good chance all of the previously mentioned stuff will not be coming back to Canada. We'll see how I feel about my hair dryer and makeup when I actually have to carry it around all day. The girly girl in me may die a brutal death on this trip.

Getting less than three hours of sleep last night hopefully means I'll be able to fall asleep easily on the plane. Failing that, I'll get liquored. Free booze!

And tomorrow, at 3pm local time, I arrive in Amsterdam, ready to take on the world! And by world I mean the bed at the hostel I'm staying at. I'm gonna be pooped.

I'm officially unemployed! Which is terrifying! Job hunting in April is going to suck! Please hire me as a technical writer!

No comments:

Post a Comment