Thursday, July 29, 2010

Get Your Paps, Ladies!

I volunteer at Options for Sexual Health in Mission as a receptionist and methods counsellor. It's two hours a week that's usually a fun-filled opportunity to catch up with the other volunteers, some of whom I've become very close with over the years (I've been there since 2002), and it's a way to give back that helps the whole community.

Any organization that helps prevent unwanted pregnancy, quells the spread of sexually transmitted infections, and promotes sexual health is an organization that I stand behind. We are contributing to fewer teen moms (sorry MTV), fewer cases of STIs, and early detection of cervical issues, including cervical cancer.

People have always has misconceptions about OPT, especially when it was under its former name Planned Parenthood. It seems to conjure up images of hungover girls buying Plan B after an ill-prepared night out, or of a stream of women getting their third or fourth or tenth abortions. While we do offer emergency contraceptives, and we will discuss all options (parenthood, adoption, abortion – we're pro-choice!) with clients whose pregnancy tests come back positive, the majority of our clients are young (16-25) women who understand the importance of taking care of themselves, and recognize that prevention is the best route.

Of course we do get the oh-my-god-what-have-I-done types, but who hasn't had a lapse in judgment? I dare you to show me a single girl whose never forgotten to take her birth control.


 I'm a speculum! I look like a friendly bird!


Much like how our clinic is sometimes grossly misunderstood, so are pap smears. It's mild discomfort at its worst, and the whole exam takes less than five minutes. You're dressed and done before you know it!

Donating blood is more uncomfortable and takes longer than a pap test. I would know, as I used to donate, up until those bastards told me I was "too anaemic to donate." Pfft. Plucking your eyebrows is more painful than a pap. Seriously, sitting there naked save for a paper blanket with your knees apart is the worst part. I promise.

A few weeks ago, a young (I believe she was only 22) client of ours came in, and mentioned the results of her pap. It showed abnormal and possibly pre-cancerous cells, and she was headed back in for additional tests. She was calm, cool and collected, because knowing there might be a problem this early on means she's going to have it taken care of before it has a chance to develop into a real issue.

And yet, people are still arguing that women don't need to get paps until they're in their thirties. If our 22-year-old client had heeded that advice and waited eight years to get her first pap? She might not have even made it that long.

Still unsure? That's fine, because the unknown can be scary. I invite you to come to any of the OPT clinics and talk about it. We can show you exactly what to expect, you can talk to the nurse who will be doing the exam, and you can check out the exam room. You can even have a friend or volunteer go in with you to hold your hand and distract you from having a nurse all up in your bits!

Please. It's important.

If you come to the Mission chapter, look for me. I'll be wearing a t-shirt that looks like this:


(No seriously, I have this shirt, thanks to Nicole of Wet Coast Nurse's Curses. She's got one too, and we have six more on order. This is our new unofficial clinic uniform. Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment